Here is the newest version of the discussion protocol that we have been developing to help you facilitate focus group discussions with the Justice in Schools cases. Please contact us if you have any feedback or suggestions.
Normative Case Study Discussion Group Protocol
- What are the dilemmas in this case, and for whom?
Why are these dilemmas?
- What values or principles are at stake? Do people disagree about which values matter, which should take precedence, or how they apply in this case?
- What practical and/or policy considerations are at stake? Do people disagree about which considerations are relevant, which should take precedence, or how they should be addressed in this case?
- What do you think should be done in this case, by whom? Why?
What have you learned from talking about this case that might apply to other ethical dilemmas in education?
- What principles or values are you thinking about for the first time, or thinking about in a new way?
- What policies or practices are you thinking about for the first time or in a new way?
What value is there, if any, to talking through a case like this with others?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- What did you learn about others?
- What did you learn about your institution, organization, or broader context?
- What did you learn about the process itself?
- Is there anything else you want to bring up or discuss?